Former Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i has strongly criticized the assault on Trans-Nzoia Governor George Natembeya, questioning how the incident happened despite the presence of several security agencies in the area.
Matiang’i raised concerns about the level of readiness and alertness among security officials posted in the region, saying the events in Kabuchai were alarming considering the systems meant to maintain public order.
“They attacked Governor Natembeya while he was at a campaign rally in Kabuchai. I previously oversaw security; you can’t convince me that the County Commissioner, the county security team, the County Police Commander, the Regional Police Commander, and other regional officers were not aware of what took place,” he said.
He emphasised that the matter could not be brushed off as a minor disagreement.
His comments highlighted his discomfort with the fact that such a disruption occurred despite established security leadership being in place.
Matiang’i referenced the November 22 incident in Kabuchai Ward, Bungoma County, where Natembeya narrowly avoided harm during a campaign event for independent MCA candidate Eric Wekesa ahead of the November 27 by-election.
The gathering, held at a local trading centre, was thrown into confusion as Natembeya addressed the crowd.
Loud blasts—believed by many to be from teargas canisters—sparked panic among attendees.
Witnesses reported that a group stormed the venue, throwing stones and attempting to stop the rally.
Police eventually stepped in and escorted Natembeya away to ensure his safety.
During the commotion, a vehicle and a house associated with a politician allied to Natembeya were damaged, with windows shattered and property destroyed. Authorities said no serious injuries were immediately reported.
In the aftermath, the Democratic Action Party of Kenya (DAP-K), which backs Natembeya, accused individuals allegedly linked to National Assembly Speaker Moses Wetang’ula of orchestrating the chaos. The party claimed the disruption was intended to intimidate voters ahead of the by-election and called on the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) and the National Police Service (NPS) to act decisively, warning that failure to intervene could heighten tensions.
The incident adds to rising political friction in Bungoma County, where rival groups continue to exchange blame over influence and control.
Separately, Prime Cabinet Secretary Musalia Mudavadi issued a political caution to Natembeya, saying Kenya Kwanza leaders were ready to challenge his influence and would field a strong contender in the 2027 General Election.
Matiang’i’s criticism has increased pressure on security agencies over their management of political events.
His remarks have revived demands for accountability and clarity on how the disturbance occurred despite the reported presence of multiple security officials in the area.
