A family in Nairobi’s Kangemi estate is in deep sorrow after their relative died on Tuesday evening during a cesarean delivery at a city hospital.
Tense scenes unfolded at St. Joseph The Worker Catholic Health Centre in Kangemi, where 27-year-old Faith Binzali, who had gone to deliver her firstborn, lost her life under circumstances her family describes as unclear.
Binzali was pronounced dead after spending about two hours in theatre. “We came walking at 5 am. She was in good health and showed no signs of complications,” her husband Alex Ndung’u said.
According to the family, she was taken to theatre at around 5 pm.
Her father, Benard Babu, said he was called to the hospital at around 6 pm, only to find that his daughter had already been taken to theatre without his consent or that of an authorized representative. “I wasn’t at peace. I felt something was not right,” he recalled.
Babu said that at about 6.30 pm, nurses informed the family that Binzali had delivered a baby boy. “I felt a bit relieved. They told us to wait patiently for the mother to wake up,” he said.
Minutes later, however, the family alleges that medics locked the theatre and exited through another door.
“We suspected something was wrong and forced our way into the theatre,” Ndung’u told The Standard. “We found her body soaked in blood.”
The incident has left the family heartbroken and demanding answers. “All I want is for the hospital to tell us what happened to my firstborn daughter,” Babu said.
